MILLS COUNTY ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The Executive Director will be a proven leader and innovator with an entrepreneurial spirit. The keys to success for the person considering this role are strong communication skills, sales mentality, high energy, and the ability to think and act strategically.
The Executive Director will create and guide the organization’s strategic direction; develop and implement policy; form key local, regional and state-wide relationships; create and manage the annual budget and the financial affairs of the organization.
The Executive Director will be the primary spokesperson for and also lead the organization’s efforts in all aspects including planning, marketing, board management, project management, community/partner relations, business retention and expansion, and the day-to-day administration of staff, programs and communication.
- Three to five years of proven and successful experience in a community/economic development leadership or management role; or in a comparable business development role.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Urban Planning, Community Development, Public Finance or a related business field. Master’s preferred.
- Proven leadership, management and interpersonal skills; and proven strategic planning and program development skills.
- Strong knowledge of government community/economic programs and political processes.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain relationships with existing businesses, industry, governmental and other groups.
- Proven skill in negotiating with financial institutions, government funders and private foundations.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, decision making, personal and professional ethics.
- Understanding of financial statements and project finance packaging.
- Strong and proven written and oral communication skills in clear and strong English.
- Proficiency in MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Must successfully pass a thorough background investigation and MVR check; as well as physical examination and drug screen prior to employment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (including evenings and weekends) as needed.
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Glenwood, Iowa (Candidates must be willing to relocate to Mills County, Iowa if not a resident currently)
Compensation: $75,000+ depending on experience
Mental and Physical Competencies Required to Perform Essential Functions:
Language, Reasoning and Cognitive Ability
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating, and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals and/or Iowa or County systems. Ability to write routine correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before individuals, as well as large groups in clearly spoken English. Ability to read and understand legal descriptions, policies, and procedures. Able by voice communications to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word.
Conduct an appearance in good keeping with a professional image.
Reasoning and Cognitive Ability
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to set priorities regarding assignments and follow through to completion; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Computer, typewriter, printers, calculator (10 key), copier, mail process machine, possess knowledge of general office equipment and procedures, including ability to type rapidly and accurately. Physical ability to work with hands and to stand for extended periods.
Typical office environment involving sitting, walking, occasional bending, lifting and carrying objects generally weighing 50-75 pounds or less and negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects. Horizontal and vertical reaching motion is required. Clarity of vision 20” or less to view computer screens and for preparing and analyzing written data and to determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work and observing general surrounds and activities, legal documents, and property description cards; eye/hand/foot coordination, hand and finger dexterity, motor coordination, grasping and repetitive motions, hearing to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and conversation skills for expressing or exchanging ideas.
Work can be performed in a typical office environment with no unusual exposure to environmental issues. The person in this role will periodically be subject to adverse environmental and weather conditions.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. Possession of an appropriate valid driver’s license and insurance. Candidate must successfully pass a background check, a physical examination, vision, and drug screen prior to employment.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Devin Embray, Mills County EDF President at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mills County Economic Development Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, MCEDF will consider reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potentiation accommodations with Employer.