Black Hills Energy Offers Tips to Stay Cool and Energy Efficient this Summer
Wednesday, August 22, 2018
Rapid City, SD – Many areas throughout the country are experiencing above-average temperatures this month. As temperatures rise, Black Hills Energy knows how important it is for you to stay cool, but also keep your utility bill at a reasonable price. Here are a few tips that will help you cool your home without affecting your pocketbook.
- Set your thermostat as close to 78 degrees or as high as you can to stay comfortable. Use fans to circulate cool air.
- Position lamps, computers and televisions away from your thermostats.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Program your air conditioning to use less energy for cooling when you are away or sleeping.
- Use a microwave instead of a conventional oven or range top. Conventional ovens create more heat in the kitchen than microwave ovens.
- Avoid running heat-producing appliances (ovens, clothes dryers, dishwashers) during the hottest times of the day.
- Keep sunny windows covered with blinds or draperies.
- Install light-colored window shades to reflect heat away from your house.
- Replace your air conditioning filters at least once a month. Make sure your air conditioner is fully charged with coolant and properly serviced and that the area around it is free of weeds. Black Hills Energy offers air conditioning service checks and repairs. Go to www.blackhillsenergy.com for more information or to schedule an appointment.
- Take baths or showers with cool water for heat relief.